Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Monitoring Equipment Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

idratherbefishing

Mechanical
May 5, 2008
BM
Hello all,

Looking for the most versitle/cost effective power monitoring gear. I need to be able to data log, and then produce reports.

Thanks,
Colin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends what data you want to log and you want to write reports on.

Some instruments are designed to sit monitoring power quality over a period of days, others analyse on a cycle by cycle basis in fine detail. They're two different breeds of instrument - which interests you?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I am looking to monitor 3 and single phase applications, leave the logger on site as well as on the fly diagnositcs of problems.. I have looked at the Fluke's any response on them? Basic measurements v,a,kw,kva,pf.

The Fluke 43(which I assume is what you're talking about) is a reasonable instrument for the price. You might want to check out the offerings from Dranetz, Voltech, Yokogawa too.

All these instruments are relatively expensive - ask for a trial for a week before committing to buy. See which one best suits what you are doing.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I work in field service and use a Fluke 435 weekly for initial system troubleshooting and logging of power quality and harmonics. It has been a rugged and reliable tool with good support.

We also have some Fluke 1750's and some RPM recorders for use for power studies and load profiles. But the 435 is what usually goes on first.

The AEMC power pads are also pretty good, I have some customers who have them and they are also good field instruments.

Hope that helps.

Ya, it'd be nice to know what you want to record or why you'd be recording.

We've got a 8 or so year old RPM meter. I'm not sure I could recommend a RPM (aka Fluke RPM or 1750) power logger any more unless Fluke has done a major overhaul of the technology to make it more usable. To me, they had a great idea years ago but it didn't keep up with the times. For the most part, you have to use the software and look at graphs of the data that is recorded. You really have no access to the raw data or any numerical data on the waveforms recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back