Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

POWER PLANT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elecme

Electrical
Apr 24, 2002
SA
I am very interested in small power plants, composed of number of generators synchronizing switchgear and the like.
I am talking about a specific job, which is providing an industrial area with a power estimate of 12 MVA with such a small power plant. I have the following inquiries:
What is the preferred type of unit (i.e. diesel, natural gas, light fuel ,etc.), speed etc.
Do you recommend generation to be on MV or on LV and then stepping up.
Elecme

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For 12MVA I would talk to Astom power in leicestershire. They do a range of gas turbines and generators. You could talk to Turbo Genset in London (part of Pratt&Whitney), but your power requirements may be too big.

Basically Turbine is best for big, diesel is best for small. Natural gas is a good way to go, since you can use the excess heat to save heating bills in winter.

Mart

Hi Elecme

The type of unit you need to use will depend on:
1) What fuel do you have available?
2) What are the load demands i.e. the load profile of the industrial area - are there large individual loads? Is the load demand steady or does it drop off substantially during the night? This will also determine whether you generate at LV (400V) or MV.

Alstom's industrial gas turbine division is being sold at the moment so you may not get a prompt service from them.
Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Cheers

GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back