Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POWER REQUIRED FOR SOLID AGITATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2003
ES
Dear Colleagues:

Any people Know that power I need add for move 1200 kg of solid in a tank of 1.250 mm of diameter. The weight of the shovel is approximately 175 Kg.Height is 1760 mm.

ANGLE OF POWER SHOVEL : 45º.
ROTATION VELOCITY: 10 RPM.

I am grateful for advance

Jordi Beltran

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it is best to built a small prototype ina certain scale to the gig one. Then measure the power needed in the small prototype and use model laws to calculate the power needed in big one.
Best Regards
Kari

Thank you for your response but I don't find the model laws to calculate the power for SOLID AGITATION. All the literarure and studies worldwide make about scale-up speak of liquids agitator.

Regards.

I would suggest you plough the intended material using your shovel pulling it with a hand spring weighter, so to measure the drag force. With that force, multiplied by the tangential speed of the central part of your shovel times the quantity of shovels involved could give you an initial idea. Besides you should take into account that solids transmit pressure direction wise, that is, your shovel should be turning as to lift the solid (never as to sink it) and you should add some power as you were actually lifting the whole column of solid up to its surface (in a liquid this is not the case)
My experience with sawdust have been challenging, due to its compresibility and the tree sap.
Take in account that all this power would turn into heat, and if it is a large quantity your mixer will become hot very fast.
sancat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back