Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power spike removal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggb

Electrical
Sep 9, 2015
US
Not sure if this is the right place for this as it involves a couple things.
I have an oil burner on a rural electric supplier. It is a vacation home and the temp is at a minimum when vacant.
The issue is the reset keeps tripping - occasionally when someone is there to reset it. Last year we broke 2 toilets because it stopped in dead cold weather.
I have tried everything to stop it. My conclusion now is that it is power spikes on the line getting thru to the triac that trips the breaker.
All burner flame out circuits are the same and there is no devices on them to prevent this. The power company says they can't monitor for short power interruptions or spikes. I have a TD relay on the input neutral side which trips in 10ms, then resets in 3 min. The oil control trips in about 15 sec for a flame out (a little short of the 30 sec spec).
The motor and HV xfmer supply runs thru the line input which is why the TD relay it in the neutral.
SO, is there a reasonable why to suppress these transients either externally or with a circuit mod?
Attached is the schematic.
thx
bill

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8e3d3d0d-9c21-4e5a-8997-040a4631a994&file=schem_s.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welcome, and who knows, it could have indeed been 5. Life has taught me just because I have not seen it does not mean its not out there.

Right. And I wasn't fair re the Pipeman thing. I thought that it was supposed to ride through a brown out, which isn't possible in such a small package. But if it "refines" a brown-out and makes it better defined and clear cut (by turning it into a prolonged black-out), then it will help. And the spike protection doesn't hurt. But it doesn't help either. Not in this case.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I think that we were all saying the same thing, in different words.
A three minute time delay on turn on shall cover a multitude of sins.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back