Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power sub stations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec12345

Electrical
Jan 20, 2005
GY
I am in the process of designing a power sub-station (69 KV - 13.8 KV). I know that it is always economicially better to have the sub-station as close to the load as possible. But the areas closest to the load centre have limited space. I woud like to know what is the safest distance that this substaion could be from persons living in that area. What effect would it have on them in terms of radiation and such matters, if they are living too close to a (69 Kv in 13.8 KV out) substation .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly IEEE Std 1127-1998 …design, construction, and operation of electric power substations for community acceptance and environmental compatibility

People that worry about "radiation" from power lines should hold one of those small, very powerful magnets in their hand while they use an electric stove-top burner element (for example). The magnet will vibrate if held anywhere within several inches of a powered stove-top element.

Given the lack of 'Cancer of the Hand' in those that cook, perhaps the concern about powerlines is overblown.

A great deal of paranoia has come out of any relationship between 60Hz magnetic fields and cancer. In the 1950s fields in this range (15-75Hz, 20-200mG) have been used quite successfully to speed the bone healing process, without any documented cancerous side effects. What has been observed in various statistical surveys is an increase in still births and birth defects amoung women who operate CRT Terminals or Computers all day, and/or sleep with an electric blanket regularly powered. Any other sources of these fields have not proven to be statistically significant.

I live right under some 115kV power lines andv aruigvn[puig etrklw[042=054 s= no ill effects as of yettttttttt ptptptpt!.

Seriously though, I would also think that if there were any validity to it we would see a large population of electrical workers with cancer above the background population levels. I have not heard of any study or report of such.

PS, I really do live under 115kV lines, albeit for only 7 years, but there are people in this area who have lived here over 30 years and not one of them has had cancer. With our little informal "study population" of 100 or so souls, I could conclude that power lines appear to PREVENT cancer!

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

I recall a study that revisited some the prior studies' data where a tiny correlation was found between proximity to distribution lines and a few types of cancer. Instead of comparing cancer rates to 'proximity to power lines', they compared the SAME population to 'proximity to road center lines' and found a STRONGER (yet still tiny) correlation (Maybe its something in the yellow paint?)! Their conclusions were that the source of cancer may be automobile fumes rather than power lines, which tend to be present along the same corridors.

Hi guys
My main focus is not on the cancer that might be caused by power lines, but my main focus is on the closest safe distance that a power station should be people living in the area.

P.S
Thank for all your responces

elec12345

Its been my experience that by the sime you resolve aesthetic and noise issues, you usually also address setback distances as well.

In my jurisdiction, there is no specific EMF distance requirement, but there is a noise statute.

In one case, we bought a decent sized residential property in the middle of an established 'high-rent' neighborhood, tore down the rather delapitated wood frame house, built our substation with underground ingress/egress of power lines, and then built a non-combustible fake 'house' around three sides of the substation perimeter to:
1)hide the low-profile equipment
2)cut down on the noise
3)serve as a barrier for blast/oil concerns.

We DID have to tweak the design afterwards a bit to address heat/ventilation issues for our xmfrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back