Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Power swing blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasalu

Electrical
Sep 26, 2020
IN
Can anybody explain power swing blocking function in a simple manner than mentioned in the manual, for example GE Relay D60.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The relay detects that a power swing is occurring and blocks operation of certain elements during that swing. During the swing the impedance could move through the instantaneous zone 1 and there could be reasons why tripping at that point could be undesirable. It could be a stable swing where there is no need to trip or it could be an unstable swing but it is desirable to trip elsewhere or at a different point in the swing. Waiting can result in reduced voltage across the opening contacts and thus a reduced likelihood of restrike.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

What david said . . . but are you looking to understand how power swing and power swing blocking are applied, or under what circumstances to use them? I can't quite tell from your post.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Thanks David for your response , how the timer settings are applied during the relay testing and importance of the same, I will read and try to understand.

Thanks crshears for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back