Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power System Protection/Relaying Books 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBlackEE

Electrical
Jul 11, 2008
US
So, I kind of got immersed into the relaying world pretty quick. I have both a power and a controls background so it is right up my alley. I have been doing this for about 2 years and feel like I have a good understanding. Now, I want to fill in my background a little. I am looking for some reference books, text books, or such that I can read on relaying practices.

I am looking to read up on coordination techniques, case studies and common practices. I know what our company has done in terms of practice, but I have no idea what the "norm" is. I am even interested by books with theoretical explanations. Oh, and like most engrs I love pictures/graphs/diagrams. Any suggestions? I have seen where some are written before wide use of microprocessor relays; unless you feel they would still be beneficial, I would like to stray from those.

Thanks,
JBlack

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some excellent references in faq238-1287

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I highly recommend Protective Relaying - Principles and Applications by J. Lewis Blackburn and Thomas J. Domin. Great resource. Often referred to as the "P&C Bible"

Wow, great feedback. Thanks everyone. prc, that att.net link you posted is dead. I saw there is an SEL book coming out soon. Are their books good usually? Though I work almost exclusively, I don't want each paragraph referencing a specific model SEL relay.

JBlackEE,

Let me give you a suggestion before you start with these books. Most of the power system books rather all of these ones have a mixture of theoretical and computational explanation. I have most of the books mentioned above. Before you jump in to the protection pool, make sure you have phasor diagram analysis on tips.

If you know this well rest will be all easy for you. You also need to know, if you want to excel in to Ditribution, transmission or industrial low voltage coordination protection.

You also need to know the softwares as well like CAPE, AsPEN, CYME used by big utilities and SKM, ETAP and Easy power used by small utilities and industrial entities. This is the only way you can analyse curves.

I have learned everything from Scratch and where I loose it is the phasor analysis and symmetrical components.
This website has one of the best people who know protection inside out. I am sure they will come to your rescue when you need them.

G Luck !

Thanks UtilityGy. I do have a good understanding of phasor diagram analysis. That is good to know though. I have messed with some of the software you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back