Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power System Study Report Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightfox1925

Electrical
Apr 3, 2006
CA
Good day. Does anyone have any link or a good format in preparing power system study reports?

GO PLACIDLY, AMIDST THE NOISE AND HASTE-Desiderata

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i.e. Short Circuit report. I would like to ask for a format (like a table of contents) to get some additional ideas in setting up the main report. The report generated by the software normally comes as an attachment to this main format. I am requesting some typical format from others who are engaged on this type of work so I may improve or get better ideas. Thanks

GO PLACIDLY, AMIDST THE NOISE AND HASTE-Desiderata

Something like this is fairly common...
1. project summary sheet / title page
2. scope of project
3. description of calculation methods
4. system one-line
5. calculation input data
6. calculation output
7. results summary with violations report (for short circuit study)

This is sort of after the fact but here are three pieces of info I include in reports:

Source of Data: Often I am working on an existing building with data provided to me from bill of materials or other's field data. Stating this here can protect you if there are errors in data that was provided to you. The outputs are only as good as the inputs!

Assumptions: Usually there will be an adjustable breaker or two with setting not provided and/or unavailable. It is important to specify what typical or specific asumptions were in order to perform the study.

Recommendations/Summary of Problems: If there are one or two places not adequately protected from faults, make them easy to find so they can be corrected. Otherwise it's just a stack of paper. For coordination problems, propose a fix, especially if it is just a quick setting change on a CB. But rememind them to re-run the arc flash study if trip settings are modifed.

I like these discussion because I think that better reports make us better engineers. IMHO.

Something like this is fairly common...
1. project summary sheet / title page
2. scope of project
3.Executive Summary
3. description of calculation methods
4. system one-line
5. calculation input data
6. calculation output
7. results summary with violations report (for short circuit study)

I put an executive summary section after defining the scope of project. It's a summary of the results and recommandations written without the too much specific technical vocabulary. It's intended to the client. I prefer it at the report's first pages than at the end. So, the client don't have to go throught all the report to look at the conclusions.

Danny Garant, ing.jr
Groupe Stavibel Inc.

I think one of the best item in addition to what are mentioed earlier is recommendation of the study, this item will be very usuful for the operation in particulare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back