Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PQR and WPS software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

albaweld

Petroleum
Jul 23, 2007
CA
Could anyone recommend a reliable programme I could purchase, download and install to help generate new weld procedures? Preferably for North America, Canada in particular.
Many thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

albaweld;
Honestly, you are far better off using a WPS/PQR template from either AWS or ASME Section IX and for each WPS you sit down, review the essential variables for the welding process and fill out the WPS and PQR. I did this for years as part of my job and found that you become most familiar with either AWS or ASME Section IX requirements, and you become an internal company expert on weld procedures. If you are looking for some software that does the above for you, you will not find it. Either way, you have to understand what welding variables are necessary and measured to ensure a proper WPS and PQR.

Thank you for the reply,I understand and completely appreciate that approach, what I was looking at is some assistance when time is of the essence.

I do not have the years of experience that metengr has but when we started doing ASME procedures 5 yrs ago I researched several computer programs that claimed to write ASME welding procedures for you and none of them worked. By the time you adjust everything that you want to do so that the program works the procedure is not what you want or you need to do several procedures so that you can cover everything you want to include. As metengr says it really is not that difficult to convert your AWS/CWB procedures to ASME once you try.

Albaweld,

I agree with the earlier posts, developing your own template and actually reading the codes/standards is 'free' and it is the best way to learn your way around them.

Software programmes will not replace an individual's knowledge and most of all they will not 'write a WPS for you', although I have come across people who expectied to find software packages that would somehow automatically generate welding parameters, preheat/interpass temperatures etc.

However, once you are familiar with the codes, software programmes would be useful for maintaining WPSs/PQRs, especially when you have to manage large numbers or different production workshops or sites within your company. They also simplify the generation of new documents by drop-down menus and embedded code rules (eg qualification ranges are generated automatically). Beware of free downloads, the two reliable ones I know of are:
and

We use the TWI (UK) Weldspec system for WPS and PQR. It is very professional and easy to use software. Costs a little more than free template but then the job is done properly.

Agreed that one shall always write/review them thoroughly by hand, but for organization the software below is very useful. Having over 1,000 WPS's and PQR's with current updates from the company its automatic generation has never been proven wrong. As mentioned by others it has been restrictive in some cases.

PA2KS, many thanks for this link, even the ability to catalogue and update welders is looking to be a very useful tool. We are in a constant flux (pardon the pun)with regular shutdowns, new welders and constant testing.

I agree with Metengr. i am a firm believer in understanding the code, or many codes. I do this as part of my job for a major corporation in 3 different countries with many codes of construction. However, I do use a PQR/WPS software for the purpose of the very neat format which is easy to enter information. I did not use these softwares the first 5 years in this type of job and I would not trade the code knowledge I have learned to pass. I created my own forms as well as used the standard templates available from AWS/ASME etc.

I use weldspec WPS and WPQ software, I also have CEI Prowrite. I did not like CEI software because the forms are not very customizable and the user interface takes a long time to enter a procedure. They all do the same things, but it all depends if you like to enter the information or choose from a drop box.

They are great organizing tools, but I would stress not to use them to do your job for you. I take great pride in what I do and always believe in the good ole way of reading the standards to familiarize yourself with them.

Hope this helps.

I have both created my own and utilized c-specs Weld Office. Developing your own takes a considerable amount of time if you desire any type of code checking or search capabilities.

Cspecs support is great (biased opinion as I used to be part of their support staff). They will probably do an online demo if you contact them.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

IMO, C-Spec is probably the best of the commercial offerings, but I find that I need to make the WPS's generated with it very notes-centric when having to address more than a single combination of P-No.'s. I've all but abandoned it for AWS applications that aren't prequalified as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back