Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Stress a Beam With Other Beam Stress Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPereira

Jul 12, 2008
GB
I am in the hope that someone can help me.
I have a question and I will try to explain it without images.

1. It is related to NX Nastran within NX 8.0;
2. One long beam (CBEAM) is constrained at the ends except in its axial direction (X direction);
3. At the middle of the beam, I apply an enforced displacement pulling it up (Z direction);
4. This enforced displacement makes the beam ends displace from their initial position towards the middle of the beam (the left end goes to the right and the right end goes to the left);
5. Now, the beam has tension all long its length;
6. Next, I model a second beam that it just equal to the deformed beam above.

Question:
How I can incorporate the tensions that are present in the first beam into the second beam (that is modelled with the same shape as the first beam) in order to have the second beam with pre-tension/pre-stress/stress-stiffening from the first beam?

I searched over the Internet but without any results.
At EngTips I have read the following:

thread561-337439
thread1234-301143
thread561-343266

Nevertheless, those cases are for modal analysis. My case is a structure with bended beams (3D lines model). Because the shape of the bended beams comes from enforced displacements, I would like to instruct NX Nastran that those bended beams have a determinate stress-stiffening obtained from other result analysis.

I hope that my problem may have been well understood by you.
Thank you very much for your time.

My Kind Regards
RPereira

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back