Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-stressed modal analysis: Adding additional supports in between structural and modal solves

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaelME

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2019
DK
Dear all.

I am running a pre-stressed modal analysis. A stator for a rotating machine consist of several modules tied together with a tie-rod, which also works as a guide.

When assembling, the stator will only be clamped in one end, tied together, and then clamped in the other end. When running the analysis, i would thus like to use a fixed support first for the structural analysis, and then before the modal analysis, add a fixed support to the opposing end.

Is it possible to add the additional fixed support after the structural analysis for use in the modal analysis?

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Mikael Mosbech Eronen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to the Workbench documentation it can’t be done but, as it often happens, GUI limitations may be omitted by editing the code manually. Before you try with you complicated model I suggest simple test on a beam for example.

Thanks Erik.

I was hoping there would be a more WB friendly way of doing it, but i guess i will look into how to use the APDL command within WB.

Best regards,
Mikael

No worries. For the command snippet first create a nodal named selection (called say FIXNODES) of the nodes and then use the D command, say:

CMSEL,S,FIXNODES ! This selects the nodes
D,ALL,UX,0 ! Fix X for sel. nodes
D,ALL,UY,0
D,ALL,UZ,0

ALLSEL,ALL ! Selects all nodes again

From an Fea point of view it is fine, since the static analysis generates the geometric stiffness matrix which is added to the standard global matrix and then the BC are just changed (so dof will be condensed out form the global matrix). Try it out on a simple model.

@ FEA way - please if you are not really sure about this do not provide help (unless you have a long exp. in Ansys which I cannot see in this forum) - because if advice is not correct things can go wrong!

@Erik Panos Kostson I just said that in Workbench it can’t be done without code modifications and to try with simple example first. Nothing incorrect or uncertain here since you basically confirmed that some code lines must be added and provided them to the OP.

Sure, but in general I would advice to be careful with advice (including myself, when I am not sure I will write it out and advice to seek further advice say from a person that knows the subject), and a lot of referencing, especially when not sure.

Yoy’re right. That’s why I always try to give advices only to the safe extent not to confuse the reader. And in case of FEA software I always recommend reading the appropriate documentation chapters since they are usually very comprehensive and helpful. At least in case of Abaqus. This software made me develop the habit of using and advising the use of documentation. Ansys seems to have nice manuals too so I refer to them sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back