Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre weld HT regarding welding 4130 onto Inconel 625. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noviceEng

Petroleum
Aug 3, 2007
TT
My guys intend to (Argon weld) 4130 onto Inconel-625, I know that post weld heat treatment isn't required but I need confirmation that pre weld HT isn't required for the 4130.
I don't think its required, am I wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

noviceEng;
Preheat is required for 4130 base metal because this is an alloy steel that has increased hardenability over carbon steel. I would use the following;

350 deg F for thickness at or below 1".

400 deg F for thickness greater than 1".

Thanks for responding guys, I really appreciate it, I see I still have a lot to learn. I intended to use Nickel-Chromium-Molybdenum low iron bare welding wire as the filler. Any other advise?

That's the interesting part of this whole scinario. I have a WPS for the 4130 and another for the inconel-625 but the Customer wants one procedure to cover both materials. Funny huh.

No, it is not funny because your Customer is absolutely correct in requesting a specific weld procedure to join two dissimilar materials. This is routinely done in industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back