Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precautions after Rainfall event

Status
Not open for further replies.

kechha2060

Civil/Environmental
Dec 8, 2007
US
Can anyone share their experience/best practices what are the precautions/test or things to look after, after a rainfall event has occured during roadway construction?
for example - rainfall occured while preparing subgrade? Do one need to test for density after rainfall event?
2nd example - rainfall while placing base? what do one need to look for?
while placing asphalt?....
while placing concrete?
material stockpiles?
while placing storm sewer pipes/culverts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my area, rainfall events during roadway construction are common. If the soil is saturated from the rainfall, it should be allowed to drain and dry before continuing with any placement over the wet soil. Unless you have expansive clay materials, there is no need to do additional density testing as the density test is adjusted for moisture content (it is the dry density that is used to compare...not the wet density).

Allowing construction or other traffic on very wet soil will cause stability problems and usually rutting and displacement...so don't do it.

Do not place hot mix asphalt on wet base material. It will affect the material and its bond to the base.

Placing concrete on a saturated subbase can lead to settlement of the pavement and joint faulting, as well as pumping from traffic if the subbase remains saturated.

Saturated soils can also be dangerous for excavations, so beware of the need to shore excavations for stormwater piping, etc.

I agree with Ron. Properly compacted fill should be weatherproof unless it's not properly compacted or subjected to construction disturbance while over optimum moisture content.

I also want to point out from the owner's perspective delivering the specified materials (i.e., compacted earthworks) is not determined by one round of testing, or eight rounds of testing. When the project is delivered, all items should be as specified. So, the contractor should be careful of completed work to keep it in good condition. Otherwise rework and resting would be the onus of the contractor.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Subgrade

Even properly compacted fill that has been rained on should be allowed or forced to dry, recompacted, retested.

Depending on how the subgrade was shaped, sloped to drain, sealed off, and what type of material it is would be the determining factor on how much corrective work will be required.

Density requirements notwithstanding, the fill should be stable.

Allowing folks to work when conditions are wet, on most items of work, is usually not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back