Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Precise manipulation of large objects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisConley

Mechanical
May 13, 2002
CA
I have an application where large dipolar magnets, weighing around 7000 lb, need to be moved on to a table. The catch is that the magnets need to be placed with great accuracy into position (around 1/100 inch tolerance).

My thought is to use a forklift-like device that could lift, manouver and then precisely place these magnets. My question is: does anyone manufacture a device such as this? Alternately can anyone think of an other way to move a heavy object such as this, with the accuracy that is required? I'm stumped where even to begin looking.

Hopefully I have been clear enough in my description, but feel free to request additional information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your placement precision is going to make any method quite a challenge. You could try looking at a Gantry Crane type of setup. They are popular in the Tool & Die industry for moving large items into and out of Machine Tools. A web search using "Gantry Crane" keywords should start you out.

Good luck.

What kind of table, i.e. material, surface type and finish? What is the shape and approximate dimensions of the magnets? What is the distance between the poles?
It seems a fork lift could work or a gantry crane depending on your room, overhead clearance, floor dimensions.
Depending on magnet shape, you might be able to clamp parallel bars to position the magnet, or if your table has a grid, you could mount something there to align it.

Find a heavy equipment mover and look for a gantry crane set up called Lift & Lock. It is a hydraulic gantry that can work indoors safely and can give you precious positioning. I used one to assemble a large 100' long press. It was used because of the need for precision placement during erection, which can not be had with a cable crane. The heaviest piece was 63 tons and it was placed with precicion.

The Project Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back