Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Precise vs. Imprecise Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty7

Jul 27, 2004
GB
We are having the debate about the relative merits of precise and imprecise assemblies. Some sites go one way, some the other. Each has issues about the others operating pracises, so I wondered what other users experiences of the two ways of working are?
Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're running teamcenter version?

The question to ask first is whether you're using workflow? Just baselining a certain way isn't all that there is. Precise makes a lot of sense when baselining, but you tend to unlock the assemblies when you go back to working on making changes.

I don't know if that helps very much, but if you come back with some more information I or somebody else may be able to expand.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Teamcenter 2005 SR1. Workflows in use to status part revisions, and rev rules in use to control display of these - although a lot of users get these wrapped round their necks causing all sorts of problems!

Usually when using workflow there are restrictions in place that work in your favour to prevent releasing assemblies with unreleased components. When baselining the same discipline should apply and it seems to me that there is equally little point in not locking it precise when you baseline. What we then always do is unlock the assemblies after we have baselined otherwise you make a rod for your own back trying to work with the latest constantly changing data.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back