Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preconstruction Surveys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOTEK

Geotechnical
Sep 9, 2005
US
I'm looking for information on how to conduct a preconstruction survey. There are several "tired" foundations nearby our pile driving operation and I would like to limit our liability by taking some photos, video, and measuring some foundation cracks.

We will be monitoring vibrations during construction. Any helpful hints or links to relative information on how to conduct such a survey and an example of a survey would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hire a professional who does these as part of their normal business. Surveys should be conducted by a third party when possible.

The best source for preconstruction surveys for pile driving and rock blasting is a book by Lewis Oriard: The Effects of Vibrations and Environmental Forces. Available from the International Society of Explosives Engineers.

Frank Lucca M.I.Exp.E.

GOTEK...I agree with Explo.

Third-party evaluations protect you better. They are done by prescribed methodologies (usually your DOT will have a procedure since they get accused regularly of causing distress to adjacent properties).

Ron & Explo,

I appreciate the response, my problem is we are the DOT and we don't have a procedure. I basically am followig guidance given in one of Charles Dowding's texts. I wholeheartedly agree that a third party is best to eliminate bias...but since the third party(s) has consistently yielded fuzzy video, poor audio and incomplete survies we have not done well in the legal system or in the realm of public opinion. Now you're probably saying that there is a performance issue with our Contractor or the very least his Subcontractor and even perhaps our DOT Construction engineer - I would be the first to agree. So, we have taken soem steps internally to protect our liability...video, photos, and documentation - I believe - will go along way in limiting our liability and enhancing our customer relations.

I agree it is good to have third party, but you should also do horizontal and vertical suvey with good control. Good control can be a tricky thing on a vibration monitering project. Be sure to tie to cotrol sufficently away from the work. Another trick is to fill the cracks with plaster of paris. The plaster will not shrink, so if you see a gap, the crack is opening. Since it has low compressive srength, it will crush if the crack starts to close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back