Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

predictive maintenance on 500 - 900 ton centrifugal chiller units 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

micjk

Mechanical
May 20, 2002
US
to anyone currently performing vibe and oil, current analysis on large centrifugal chiller units. we are trying to take over vibe and oil , and current analysis on our 500 and 900 ton trane centivac chiller units ( @ $30,000)/yr cost savings I've been told). does anyone have any or can lead me to links for tips to get this program up and running. I am currently scanning manufactures drawings to learn more about critical components of and where I might begin to start analysis of our equipment. need examples of accelerometer placement for compressor and oil pump, frequency ranges, oil sampling ports and frequency.
any help would be deeply appreciated.
regards,
micjk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have transmitter based system that interfaces to your control system for cost effective on-line monitoring of your chillers. Feel free to contact me at dgallagher@cmcpweb.com.

How many of these units are you going to be monitoring? Is it also for the support machines (chill water pumps, etc.)? Is the $30K/year you quoted the cost of the current monitoring contract, or a difference in the contractor's rate and the estimated cost to do it in-house?

The reason I'm asking is that the questions you are asking are pretty fundamental, so it would appear you are starting a program with no current in-house expertise. Don't under estimate the committment required to get a good in-house monitoring program up and running. Many facilities have done it successfully, and I applaud them. I have also seen many facilities attempt it without understanding the required management commitment to adequate training, man-power and good equipment.

Was your contractor not providing adequate warning of developing problems in the machines? If this is the case you may want to significantly change his procedures and do it "right". If the contractor was providing good service and was correct in his analysis and recommendations, then it may be worth working with them to transition the program to an in-house program even though it would probably cut into the estimated savings for a year or two.

Again, I am not trying to discourage you. My comments are just meant as a little reality check, based on the my experiences.

I agree with a previous post, that it may be worth investigating an on-line system for these machines, depending on the ultimate goal for your program. There are many different levels of on-line systems available.

Good luck with your program.

Skip Hartman

In regards to the oil sampling rate and actual sampling: I don't believe there a sampling rate that fits all. It should be tailored or adapted to the machne and circumstances.
If you are starting from scratch (no previous oil sampling data from former contractor) I recommend once per month for three months so you can establish a pattern. If you note stability in readings, go to quarterly samplings. And of course compare all similar machines oil analysis. If on the other hand you have access to previous oil analysis ( from former contractor) and you have confidence in analysis performed, use that track record to establish your sampling rate.
A note on the confidence placed on others: Our contractor drew a sample and came back 2 months later with the analysis indicating excessively high moisture levels (293 PPM H2O). We had the tube bundles eddy current tested for fractures (none) and began a filter drier changeout program. Before we began the filter drier changeout, we drew a sample and sent it in for analysis at an independent lab. Two weeks later it came back with a normal (16 PPM H2O) reading. We found out the first sample sat in the shop for several weeks before being sent out.
If you have or have had mechanical problems with your chillers, increase your sampling rate until you are certain there are no problems, then decrease. If you see a dramatic change in a sample analysis, send out another sample from that machine immediately.
Try to draw the oil after the oil filter. This may require installation of a refrigeration fitting.
You can buy your own equipment for oil analysis or send out for about $25-$35 per sample. We use one in Stafford , Texas.

On the vibration analysis, manufacturers will offer location and typical readings. Some are slow to respond. Vibration analysis equipment manufacturers will also help you locate the right spots.

thanks all for response,
Machinerywatch, especially thank you for the input. We have been trying to get this program off the ground for 5 years now, but to no real avail. I agree with you 110% on the commitment issue. It is a proven fact that PDM programs can not and will not be successful without full and total commitment on the part of, not only management, but the individuals that run the program.I have @ 5 years vibration experience coupled with @ 1 yr of oil analysis. I have level 1 cert with the vibration institute and truly enjoy this field. The educational values of this field are limitless. The $$$ return can also be of no end if the program is designed,implemented and run correctly. Again thanks for the input It's verbage like that, that I love to print out and "rub" into upper managments face. Believe me it helps.
once again thanks to all
regards
Roy Gariepy
Maintenance and Reliability Group
Bayer Corp Fibers Div.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back