Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preferred P&ID Software Suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teowen5

Civil/Environmental
Aug 10, 2017
US
I am working in the environmental field and mapping processes for Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR). I need to create P&IDs for our process to number the components to be inspected and managed under the environmental regulations. Any suggestions on what software to use? FYI - The plant engineers have AutoCAD. I have years of experience with AutoCAD/Visio and a Mechanical Engineering background.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the same system as your client uses which seems to be in your case AutoCad otherwise time will have to be spent converting to the clients preference anyway and in O&G I usually see either Autocad or Microstation used usually as directed by client. More often now for larger projects intelligent P&IDs such as Smartplant P&ID are being stipulated by client and in fact in use on present FEED project although I am dubious about the benefits vs the more resources required.

Thank you, dogtop. Have you used Visio P&ID (Link)or just the base version? I noticed that AutoCAD P&ID has been discontinued, and thought that was odd. EDraw is one that I have seen repeatedly. And if it is half as useful as it seems to be then it will be perfect.

Also, for everyone, I used to be consulting but now I am an engineer at the plant. That's why I am asking. I will be deciding what will be the software/program for any additions/edits of P&IDs to come.

teowen5:

I have used VISIO for drawing pilot plant P&IDs. EDraw is better than VISIO according to the grapevine. When I have to do editing of existing P&IDs, usually in .DRW file types, I use a program called GRAPHITE from Ashlar-Vellum. It is similar to AutoCAD.

HTH.

dogtop
An Inversion of Top Dog

Note that your design P&ID most probably will not match actual installation. So you must specify that the builder submit initial for approval and final as built P&ID with the features you and the owner require.

I see more often now for larger projects intelligent P&IDs such as Smartplant P&ID are being stipulated by client / EPC companies due to the fact that it can provide you control over the pickable MTO however, to make these PIDs intelligent to that extent we still do not have intelligent Designers.
But if drafted by trained Designers with right Piping specs, you can be rest assured that you will get a control over your MTO for pick-able items. Isn't it great?

I feel it is awesome....

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

I don't believe that intelligent P&IDs will relate to your MTO at least in my limited experience of using them, your pickable MTO would be extracted from 3D Model.

Hi MickMc,

I am making a valid statement based on my experience as a Piping MTO Coordinator for an EPC project worth 4 billion USD.

If you visualize a project cycle right from the beginning, you will realize the importance of knowing the QTY of pick-ables right at the start of the project when P&IDs are ready for Detail Design & not until you are fully ready with an error free 3D model in terms of MTO.

Hope you are getting a feel of it now...

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Right Gator, but imagine if you have around 400 P&IDs & as always you don't want any mistake for MTO.

I have not only heard but learned with my personal experience with MTO that, "MTO business is the dirtiest business in Piping".

You are not allowed to go wrong in it or else the entire project can go wrong if it happens....the chances are high in spite of having all sort of intelligent people or the softwares.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhijit

Abhijit,

I am not questioning your experience in Piping MTO only that I do not see the the relationship with Intelligent P&IDs and MTO which is not there with standard P&ID other than you could probably generate a valve count along with a line list as I am not aware that any other piping components can be extracted from P&ID unless it is tagged item. As Gator states for intial MTO P&IDs and Plot Plan would be used, intermediate a combination of P&IDs, Plot Plan and Model and finally directly from Model to simplify it somewhat and I do agree with your take on importance of MTO and how it is undervalued in industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back