Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prepping kitchen carcase parts for cutting on a cnc tips please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojournerman

Industrial
Jun 5, 2014
NZ
Hi guys (SW 2006)
Can I pick your brains on setting up parts for a kitchen I'm designing (private job for family friend) to be cut out on a flatbed style cnc machine
I don't have any cam works or solid cam type software available.
1)what do I need to do to make my parts easy for the cnc operator to cut out?
Is it advisable for me to put the carcase parts into a drawing and save it out as a dxf at a scale of 1 to 1?
anything else
The cuts mostly consist of 5mm holes either right thru the board or 10mm into the board
the cut out shape and some slots 8mm wide by 8mm deep .
Can I add a sweep cut around the outside of the carcase parts and use that as a cnc router guide?
Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks tick appreciate the confirmation any other tips for preparing my models ?
Some of them are going to need work on both sides of the board( not a lot though)

Sir: Again ask your CNC source how he wants to locate the second side. Either by holes bored into the first side or a square corner. For your information, I once machined a few Hi Fi speaker enclosures for a friend. With a conventional end mill. I had a problem with the cutter chipping the wood where the grain changed density. Later I found a cutter that had a reverse spiral (machined wood down into hole, instead of forcing out of hole) as a conventional end mill does. I have retired, so I can't help you find where to get such a cutter.Tape face of side to be machined with masking tape if you can't find a reverse spiral cutter.Helps keeping cutter from chipping the wood.Lots of luck Art L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back