Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Press fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliana

Automotive
May 12, 2003
GB
Hello,

I am trying to find the pressure distribution at the contact surface of a press fit assembly.
How can I model the press fit?

Thanks
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Juliana,

It is simple, but you can not perform this analysis yet in integrated mode. You must use the stand-alone version of Pro/MECHANICA.

If you are a maintenance paying customer, you can access the following document from the Technical Support Knowledge Base (Suggested Technique for Modeling Press-Fit Contact Analyses (
The basic technique is to model the initial interference so that the two bodies overlap and then use a contact surface for the two surfaces that will eventually be coincident. You will need a load to make an analysis valid, so if there are no other loads, use a dummy zero Global temperature load.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I've put in an enhancement request to be able to do this in integrated mode. When I checked today it's status was listed as "Pending". I don't know what that means unfortunately. Maybe in Wildfire 4

An easier method to be used in Integrated mode is this;

If you know the interference (displacement) of the press fit then you can work backwards by placing a pressure load on the female section until the interference displaecement is reached. This value of pressure can be assumed to be the press fit pressure.

hi piston rod,

i am also stuck with interference fit contact analysis. And i liked the method that you have mentioned. but can you explain me with an example. please. i am desperate to know. thanks
Sari

Why not just create a spreedsheet that calculates hoop stress based on tolerances and temperatures.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Heckler,

Performing closed form calculations is always a good idea. However, it will only work for geometry that has the stresses calculated from closed form equations. I have performed several press-fit calculations on irregular geometry. Using a FEM based solution was the only way to model the problem with accuracy.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back