Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Box Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck1

Nov 15, 2001
US
We are looking at replacing a metal fairing with a fiberglass laminate and the FAA wants us to do a "Pressure Box Test." I can't find any literature on it. Is it a static test or fatigue test? I assume that it is associated with the dynamic pressure at altitude but I don't know if it requires repetitive loading or what.
Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess it wouldn`t hurt if you asked the FAA exactly what they want . Ask them to provide specefications on the test itself and who wrote it .Are they justified in asking for this test to start with ? Do everything you can to increase their workload .
:)

Ask them to specify what they want, there is nothing wrong with doing that. IMHO, the purpose is not to generate work for them, but to figure out how you can specifically meet whatever they are looking for.
Good Luck. -----
Nert

You could try getting access to the following paper:
Doc. No. 19980019036
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA USA
Design and Evaluation of Composite Fuselage Panels Subjected to Combined Loading Conditions

I haven't read it myself, but the synopsis mentions pressure-box testing, so it may give you some info. If you have any trouble obtaining it, the paper may be ordered through the Nasa Scientific and Technical Information Service (
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back