Pressure Control Valve 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inchtain

Petroleum
Feb 21, 2021
LY
Hello,

During a recent plant visit, I noticed that a Pressure Control Valve (PCV) is installed at the by-pass pipe and not on the main gas line where a globe valve is installed. The pipe is for the gas outlet from a 3-phase crude oil separator.

Can you confirm if this is serviceable from the process/engineering point of view? and whether we have to swap the valves although this job involves a lot of modifications?

Please see the attached photo for reference.

Thanks,

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b4cd19ea-2cfa-4a08-9d52-9e3624ab0afd&file=WhatsApp_Image_2022-06-26_at_4.36.59_PM.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have no one else to ask?

I count six posts so far and counting on what appears to be the same vessel. You could have done it all in one post.

What does the P&ID say?

My guess is that someone did this so that the main bit of the pipe and valve etc was more accessible for maintence.

This ignores the point that manual bypasses of control valves, IMHO, should not be allowed. It looks more like a gate valve, but if it had to be used, is very difficult / impossible to access. Personally I would remove the gate / globe valve and just put in two blind flanges....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Agree with LittleInch, likely configured this way to promote accessibility of the control valve. IMO no need to swap them.

Check the P&ID, though don't be that surprised if it isn't shown correctly, some process engineers treat the P&ID like a flow sheet vs a schematic diagram:
thread378-491402

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back