Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Distribution with a spinning cylinder in stagnant volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCoat999

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
I have a high speed (30-40,000rpm) 1 inch diameter spinning shaft in a relatively otherwise stagnant volume. I need to know the pressure of the fluid at different distances from the OD of the shaft outwards.

I have searched and can only find information about a spinning cylinder in an airflow.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is as old as machinery, and has been studied for about as long, with a ton of papers being published. The basic answer is that the flow system is complicated, highly dependent on the heat transfer that takes place, and the Re range you are considering.

Look for references on Couette flow, and papers by Taylor and Von Karman, ca. 1920-1937 (interwar period). Also, this paper among others on the NACA server:

or this book:

[BOOK] Modes of Adiabatic and Diabatic Fluid Flow in an Annulus with an Inner Rotating Cylinder
J Kaye, C Everett - 1957 - MIT Research Laboratory of Heat Transfer in Electronics

or these:

These from the 1st few pages of a Google Scholar search on the terms "rotating cylinder", and "couette flow cylinder", which produced more than 60k and 5k hits, respectively, most of which are presumably books, articles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back