Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Drop in a FILTER VESSEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrea_91

Chemical
Apr 10, 2018
FR
Good morning to everyone,

I am working in a chemical plant in which we use a filter vessels (a metallic column with a filter in the bottom end) full of a polymer powder (with different particle size). The dimensions of the vessels are very small (height 1.4 m / diameter 0.2 m).

With a CODIP PUMP we pump inside the filter a liquid dispersion with a pressure of 4 bar, flow rate of 0,8 l/min.

I'm asking you if you some equations that I can use for the modelization of the process [Ergun Equation?].

Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't follow the process description. You filter out polymer particles in the liquid dispersion by passing it through the filter at the end of the column? I think a P&ID or a sketch of the complete process will help the forum members better help you.

What is it that you want to model?

If you want to model the filter friction factor the Ergun equation will be difficult to use because you have polymer powder of different sizes. The Ergun equation uses as an input the equivalent spherical diameter of the packing. Ergun also uses the media oid ratio which is probably also unknown.

Depending on what you want to model and what variables you have you could get some useful information from the following:

1|) Flow rate versus pressure drop.
2) Fluid temperature versus flow rate and pressure drop
3) Filter run time versus pressure drop and flow rate

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back