Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure load

Status
Not open for further replies.

christophersrikanth

Structural
Apr 1, 2013
GB
Hi-I asked this question in another discussion group on eng-tips but was advised to post here instead -I did not get satifactory replies in the that group (NX-UG) as well

I have just been reading the tutorial in NX (as well as practising doing it) concerning pressure loads in NX.

Now, if you recall the definition of pressure (
we see pressure is a scalar.

This is clear.

However, in NX if we go to load type->PRessure, in the dialog box, there is also an option of defining the components of pressure.

My question is, how can pressure ahve a unique direction?

Sorry for a very fundamental question-please note this is not a homework question but very much a question from me- working on real problems.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it's quite common to applied load distributed over an area, thus a pressure (obviously directional).

in most cases you should see pressure as normal to the surface, thus scalar.

i guess NX is saying if you have an inclined load on the surface, that you want to distribute over an area then you's have normal and in-plane components; yes?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Pressure can have a direction if, say, you're looking at the thermal expansion of a lining on a pressure vessel, which has an inclined surface, ie. is conical. In such a case you'd normally have to apply a pressure normal to the surface and then add in another shear component to get the required pressure distribution.

rb1957

In that case (applied load distributed over an area)- it is strictly 'not' pressure, it is a distributed traction.

Strictly going by the definition of pressure, it acts in all directions and is described by the magnitude alone.

thinking about it, hydro-static pressure is omni-directional and scalar.

force over area will have a direction (force is a vector)

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I think the link is misleading.

Definition from Wikipedia:

"Pressure is force per unit area applied in a direction perpendicular to the surface of an object"

If the "surface" does not have a defined direction (such as for pressure at a point in a fluid) then pressure is a scalar.

If the surface does have a defined direction (such as for pressure applied to a surface in a finite element analysis) then pressure is a vector.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back