Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pressure measurement in air duct system with U-tube manometer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARF

Industrial
Feb 20, 2003
NL
Dear all,

I want to measure the air pressure in an air duct system both on the head and suction side of a big air ventilator. The channel is square 1.5 x 1.5 meter, air velocity is around 10 meter/sec. The motor is 100 kiloWatt.

Now I want to apply a good old U-tube manometer to measure the air pressure. Does anybody have experience with this method? How to avoid pressure readings induced by speed (p = 0.5 rho x V^2) and carburetter-like sucction effects?

What pressure readings I can expect (approx), I mean what pressures are typical for this size of ventilators?

Please let me know,
MVD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find a Dwyer catalog and buy a static pressure tip. The A-303 model even has a magnet on it so you don't have to hold it while getting your measurement. These tips are made to cancel any venturi effects, etc. I suppose they have a website too.

The catalog also has good technical sections on how to take various velocity and pressure measurements. As for guessing what you'll get for pressure measurements, not enough info.

MVD,

I agree with BRT549. You only need a static pressure gauge for the application. At the velocity/area values provided I would only expect pressures in the range of 0-10 inches of water.

Pharo of Thermo

static pressure measurements can be made with a connection that is flush with the plenum wall.

There are also special insert fixtures that accomplish the same.

You can also take a pitot reading and subtract out the velocity term.

Manometers are fine but have been replaced by electronic types.

If you are in a hurry a plastic tube filled with water works great. In practice the velocity effects are not that great unless to direct the tube suarely into the flow.

Dear All,

You are great!

Thanks for all the information. I'm going for the web-link you gave me. Thanks for all the tips.

: )
MVD

For anybody curious; the air pressures I measured where:

Pressure head: +9 cm water
Pressure suction -3 cm water

Cheers,

Sounds very interesting. I enjoy doing air balances in the fertilizer plant I work in. The web link looks useful, and I'm adding it to my "toolbox".

Greetings from Wyoming, USA.

BRT-549

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back