Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Regulator Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB3242

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2007
US
I am looking for a differential pressure regulator. I have one source, or pipe, which is P1 at say 250 lbs constantly. Then P1 will supply P2 with a pressure increase if necessary. The pressure will move into P2 according to the regulator to give the desired pressure for P1. P2 and P1 are the same source and fluid. Then I have a completley different source, fluid, pipe which will vary in pressure, P3. Say P3 is at 50 psig. I need to keep P2 above P3 at a diff of 40 psig. But when P3 increases I want to have P2 increase as well due to the differential pressure going through a lowering.

I can work this out so that it will work I just am having a hard time locating the regulator/valve.

Does anyone know where I could find it?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Huh? Is this gas or liquid? Explain what you are talking about regarding different fluids, etc. I don't get it at all.

You can find a few differential pressure regulators. Perhaps you may actually need pressure transmitters, controllers and control valves. If one is avialable in the capacity required it would likey have one inlet and one outlet; one inlet (P1) and one outlet (P2).

Ok, that is one source at 250 psig (P1). P1 provides the supply that flows through the regulator with the outlet pressure (P2) with a pressure differential at a particular setpoint in psi differential. If the setpoint is 100 psi differential, the outlet pressure is maintained at 150 psig.

For a pressure differential regulator, the fluid flows (pressure provides the motive) according to the changes in the upstream or downstream pressure.

As you can see, I don't understand the completley different source of fluid because my differential pressure regulator has one inlet and one outlet.

So P3 is at 50 psig. You need another regulator dropping P2 to P3. Are these are different fluids? If so, we are not really talking about regulators at all, right?

A differential pressure can maintain the difference between P2 at 40 psi diffential above P3. Thus, when P3 increases -P2 closes and the inlet also increases. BUT, if the upstream system is veryh large, it only increases at the rate accommodated by the closed valve on the differential regulator. Other things may affect P2 or P1 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back