Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar1

Computer
Aug 20, 2002
US
Hello,
I have a Watts U5B pressure regulator valve just after my water meter. There is a strainer that I would to take out and clean if needed. The valve makes small banging noises at times. My question is will I need to drain the whole house down or is there a check valve built into this PRV.

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to have a shut-off valve downstream of the regulator. A search on with watts u5b finds lots of hits, this is just one link:

Nothing in it about a built-in check valve and if you look at the installation instructions, they imply you should have isolation valves upstream and downstream of the regulator. They do talk about being able to service the regulator in-line but from the information, it's not while the regulator is under pressure.

Polar1:

As a "tek-tip" type item -- before you do anything walk down the system. Make sure you have isolated both sides of the system before you take the strainer out (unless you also want to drain down your public water supply system!!) And if you don't have a house shutoff valve - or individual component shutoff valves - it's a good idea to install them, especially if you end up cutting the water off at the street. The extra money you spend having those valves put in will save you in the long run. Patricia Lougheed

Thanks for all the help. I have a shutoff valve just after the water and before the PRV but will now install one after the PRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back