Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure sensors to measure force for walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsberg

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2003
AU
Have any of you had experience with pressure sensors and people walking, i.e. sensors on the sole of someone's foot to measure the force when they walk to derive some biomechanic equations. I need to explore some thin film type sensors....anyone with experience??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

we use kistler force transducers and strain gauges ...... sorry no experience with thin films.

Have any of you had experience with pressure sensors and platform...? I need some equations to calculate the foot area in an intensity graph. Could you help me?

You need to use the original data for that.

The foot area would vary as a function of time during the step.

TTFN

It sounds like you need a force plate, or matt. I thought I saw a group called AMTI out of Boston with something like that.

try getting more info from sports shoes manufacturers like nike.they put various sensors in thier shoes for various purposes.

i'd imagine that some load-cells might do what you want--what kind of resolution are you looking for? are you looking for max load per cycle or the time-varying dynamic load? if just max load, a pressure sensitive film would probably work--but if looking for detailed information on the dynamic loading of different areas of the sole, then you probably will need something much more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back