pressure test for piping according to ASME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silje

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2013
EU
Hello,

In B31.1, there is a leak test, duration 10min, to ensure the quality of our piping. It is in 345.4.3. But it is not clear to me whether an inspector has to come to ensure the test was done, or if our "owners inspector" can sign. Do we have to deliver the test result to our customers or is it just in case an inspector asks for it, that we can show, we did it?
I think ASME is complicated, someone out there who think it is not?
Greetings Silje

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hei Stanweld,
you mean, that I am in the wrong thread? Could be, I will try pressure vessels, thank you for your hint

You are in the right thread. ASME B31.1 addresses Boiler External Piping (under ASME I) and requiring an Authorized Inspector and the Fabricator to hold a current PP or S Certificate of Authorization and acurrent contract with an Authorized Inspection Agency. It also addresses Non-boiler External Piping for which the manufacturer need not have the above Certificate(s) of Authorization nor involve an Authorized Inspector and Authorized Inspection Agency.

Silje said:
Good news!
We have non-boiler external piping. That makes it much cheaper and easier.

Well, it means you have hundreds of feet of non-boiler piping containing very hot steam at very high pressures and temperatures, which, it it fails - means you can be killing people and breaking things outside of the boiler walls where the escaped steam might be safely isolated from people.

Be careful. It does mean that the test conditions, and the test supervision are different. It does NOT mean that the test is any less important. 8<)

Don't worry, the tubes are designed for this pressure, but according to PED we only do welding line inspection. We are using these tubes for 40 years and never ever happened something. But for ASME you have to prove by calculation that a tube holds the pressure. The calculations we have done show that we have thick tubes and these tubes are accepted in the USA even if they are not listed. In addition we have to do this 10 min test. I think this is a very good proof for the safety of our products. The PED is still developing, it is not finished and they took a lot from ASME, perhaps they will adapt this test one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back