Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Test for Stainless Steel 316L thickness 3.9 mm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.I.H 1983

Chemical
Feb 8, 2022
EG
I want to do a pressure test for St.st piping with 10 " 17 m length.
how can I calculate the test pressure. (Table from standard or equation for calculation)ASME B31.3
which test fluid the more suitable (Water or inert gas)

Well first you need to know the design code you are using and the design pressure.

Then follow the code and work it out.

The fact you seem not to know either is very worrying

[Edit] OP now says B31 3 Test pressure is 1.5 times Design pressure. For hydro or 1.1 for pneumatic.

There are lots of posts here in this subject. Search for them.

What is your design pressure?

Hydro is less risk and more common. Define "suitable"....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Most chemical companies have "pipe specs" that describe many aspects of the installation, including the design limits on temperature and pressure and the Code used. I recommend you start with that, if you can. It may tell the test pressure and procedure, but that is less likely in my experience.

Good Luck,
Latexman

As LittleInch pointed out read the code and present us your calculation. Its a 17m piping string and most likely will contain flanges and other fittings. Calculate the code required test pressure and also at 90% of Yield Strength for the all the parts in the string. the weakest component will govern the test pressure.
If you are using water for the hydrotest, you will need to control the chloride content and dry off after the test.
Chloride causes CSCC in stainless steel.

GDD
Canada

And make sure that either the water has been sanitized or that you follow the test with a good rinse and dry.
Microbiological activity is also an issue.
CSCC isn't my biggest worry, Cl pitting and crevice corrosion start much sooner.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back