Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joggmc1

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2004
CA
I need to execute an hydrostatic shell test on a flanged-end coupling, I've already determine the standard that are involve, I know that the test shall be done at a gage pressure no less than 1.5 times the 100F rounded off to the next higher 25-psi increment. The test should be executed with water with a corrosion inhibitor.

There's my question : I need to determine the equipment needed to execute that kind of testing, because we want to do it ourselves.

Jo

P.S. : Sorry for my mistakes, but my first langage is french.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suitable gauge
Connection hoses / tubing.
Chart and recorder (might consider dual recorder)
Test pump (might consider variable displacement depending on size of test piece)
Manifold with isolation tee.
Make sure all above are fit for purpose and calibrated.
Bleed point (needle value)
Connection fitting and crossovers to suit equipment.
Risk assessement and adequet isolation from test area.
Competent personnel doing the job!!!!

Not sure what your preasures are but get it wrong and your company will be in for an HSE battering.

Thanks for answering my question, despite the fact thaht I didn't give you a lot of information. It will guide me trough my research.

You may need to check the 1.5 times the design pressure. The Australian Standard has changed and I believe that ANSI has changed also. You need to ensure that you have the most up to date standard to work from. You need to check the maximum pressure that you can use particularly if correcting for elevated temperature, for example thin wall bellows on shell and tube heat exchangers. Also there may be limits on the amounts of chloride in the test water, particularly for stainless.

Make sure that all air is displaced from the item prior to testing.

ASME B31.3 hasn't changed from 1.5, but ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code uses 1.3 for new construction.

Don't forget a relief valve, set at 10% above test pressure, and located just before the test piece. Typically, the pump can produce pressure far in excess of your test pressure, and if your regulator fails you could have a problem.

Larry

Whatever your pressure indicating device is make sure it has a recent calibration sticker or certificate.
Along with this make sure it's in mid range of the scale. The last two AIs (inspectors) really checked the gauges over and could be very critical of misuse or application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back