Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRESSURE TRANSMITTER LOCATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvhamil

Electrical
Jun 8, 2004
US
DOES IT MATTER IF A PRESSURE TRANSMITTER IS LOCATED ABOVE OR BELOW A STEAM LINE OF WHICH IT IS MONITORING?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dvhamil:

I always specify steam pressure transmitters at the TOP of a line (or always in the pure vapor steam space) and always with a PIGTAIL nozzle, in order to trap out condensate in a seal and keep it away from the sensing diaphragm. I would never install a steam pressure tap at the bottom of a steam line.

I'm interested in learning how others do it.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

I agree, pressure transmitter should be installed on top side of the piping. By this you can ensure that foreign material is not entering the tail pipe and siphon.

If this is a new installation, fill the siphon with water initially.

Regards,

The question is pertaining to the tap being on top of the line, but with the transmitter being located some distance below.

No problem but if the level difference is significant or accuracy required is high then you have to offset this value(static head) from the measured reading. This is generally done by the manufacturers.

For steam flow the taps should be on the side and the transmitter mounted below. The lead lines (impulse lines) should be filled with water (condensate). The lead lines should have no high spots where gases can collect and to allow gases liberated to flow back to the process. For long lead lines a minimum gradient of 1 in/ft assures gas bubbles rise back to the flow line. The lead lines should be close together and lagged to minimize density variation due to temperature. Once installed and the lead lines are filled rezero the transmitter at flowing condition to minimize any offset.

Art mentioned a pigtail. There are other siphons that trap the liquid (does the AGCO CT7 still exist - perhaps within Crosby?). Many applications will work. The principal among several issues is the temperature capability of the transmitter. Many process applications and especially steam applications exceed the high temperature rating of the transmitter. In cryogenic service a similar issue must be addressed.

What pressure steam, superheated or saturated, etc. If the transmitter were below the tap it would be affected by the head of the liquid. The accuracy would be little affected in 600 psi steam and more severe in 30 pound steam.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back