Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure vessel design reality check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmer12

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2010
CA
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a quick reality check. I have some background in pressure vessel design, but we always used APV for calcs, and only worked up to 150 psi. Well I have had a friend ask me to design a one off filter unit for him, to handle 5000 psi, and was hoping to get a quick look over my wall thickness calcs.

I am using the formula t=p*Ro/(Stress allowable + 0.5p)

Using 5000 psi
3.5" OD
SS 316 with a UTS of 80,000psi
FOS 4

I am getting 0.389" wall thickness.

Can anyone comment on my calcs and let me know if I'm making sense?

Thanks,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jimbo....

When I use the rules for B31.1/B31.3 piping design, with an allowable stress of 20,000 (no corrosion/threading allowance etc) I get almost the same number.

Why are you not using the rules of ASME VIII ?

Your calulation result is correct. However, if you use pipe (based on 3.5" OD you used), you need to add 12.5% undertolerance.

If you use ASME Div 1, the forumla to use shall be the one for heavy wall. However that does not change the results much.

Thanks guys.

MJ, I'm not using Sec VIII, because I am no longer working in the pressure vessel industry and don't have a copy of it. Also, this being a one off design, that isn't being used for commercial use, or being sold, I have no requirement to follow any specific code. It's for a scuba compressor, and most other HP air products I have dealt with have used 4:1 FOS, so I felt pretty comfortable with that, especially being made from SS, rather than the aluminum that most filter housings are made, I am not too worried about sustained load cracking or fatigue..

James, you are correct it is based on pipe, and I am looking to use 3" XXH which has an OD of 3.5" and wall thickness of 0.6", so there is plenty of room for tolerance issues. I am planning to thread the pipe internally, and turn SS end plugs using O-Ring seals, and obviously use the correct OPV and associated plumbing.

Would have been easier to check ratings of pipe using a good Pipe Spec. Sch 160 s/s is more than adequate for 5000 psig. XXS may be hard to find, and is 'overkill', as your calc's have shown.

You may be right, there is virtually no welded seam pressure vessels in the scuba industry. Everything I've seen has been seamless with O-ring seals.

I think I will continue with my design using Sched 160. I had originally thought XXS might be good, because I have to thread the tube, and it is being used in a moisture separator so it will have the potential for corrosion as well.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back