Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure vessel with electric heater: boiler or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John21423

Industrial
Apr 14, 2021
US
Hello,

I am designing a Sec VIII Div 1 vessel that will have an electric insertion heater threaded into the vessel for the purpose of separating oil from refrigerant by boiling off the refrigerant.
Is it correct to assume that any rules for boilers do not apply since my fluid is not water?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does that ASME code specify these pressure and temperature limitations somewhere?
All references to boilers refer to steam and water. Not other fluids.
I cannot find any codes specific to non-water fluids with a heater element.

You may have a point John. PED 2014/68/EU distinguishes boilers and vessels on the exact same element; the fluid being water, in order to produce steam.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

R6155, my immersion heater is threaded into the vessel, so Mandatory Appendix 41 does not apply, and the heater itself is out of scope since the threaded connection is the first sealing surface of a proprietary fitting (U-1(e)(4)).
It seems as though I would just treat the vessel as any other Section VIII Div 1 vessel regardless of the presence of the heater.

Don't mix concepts.
You can install the electric heater as you like.
Forget U-1(e)(4), it doesn't help clarify what we're talking about.
Yes, this is not a boiler

Regards

Review your state boiler safety code. The following is excerpted from the Virginia code, yours may have similar language.

§ 40.1-51.5. Short title; definitions

As used in this chapter, which may be cited as the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act, the following terms shall have the meanings set forth in this section unless the context requires a different meaning:

(a) "Boiler" means a closed vessel in which water is heated, steam is generated, steam is superheated, or any combination thereof, under pressure or vacuum for use externally to itself by the direct application of heat from the combustion of fuels, or from electricity or nuclear energy. [highlight #FCE94F]The term "boiler" shall include fired units for heating or vaporizing liquids other than water where these units are separate from processing systems and are complete within themselves[/highlight].
The Virginia Code contains a list of exemptions, and invokes the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety code as the design code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back