Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

pressure vessel 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshayjain1010

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2013
I want to design a pressure vessel having pressure upto 250 bar and i want an impeller to be moved in that using a motor. Is this feasible to design,can any sealing prevent leakage from the shaft clearance?

-regadrs
akshayjain1010

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using a seal less connector like a mag drive. Often used for pumps which pump very hazardous material.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Can mag drive sustain its effectiveness in transmission at temp. As high as 320 degree cel.?
And apart from this can any other type of sealing solve the purpose?

A quick question: why would you prevent leakage at this high pressure. Since it's almost impossible to stop leakage in a feasible design, you might as well control a small leakage via some clever design, like labyrinth or similar. Think lateral and use alternative, inventive solutions. Try talking to experienced designers/manufacturers about your ideas, try testing, experimenting.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

I can't see any reason why mag drives would be limited in temeprature as they are used for a wide variety of pumps, but you would need to go and ask the vendors. Other than that it loks to me likel you're into double or triple mechanical seals and venting any small amount of gas escaping. Try looking up the seal arrangments in API 610 as what you describe is very similar to a pump or compressor seal. Ask some seal vendors (Crane e.g.) what they would recomend if you don't want to go seal less.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Sounds like an interesting challenge. It probably requires substantial engineering. You can probably learn a lot from existing designs that already have solved this problem. For example, I have used this stirred reactor in the past, which operate at a similar temperature and pressure.

Link

Looks like LittleInch is on the right path to suggest mag drives based on the description of this product.
-K

Thanks a lot komposites for providing the link.
It looked like some sort of "heavy duty autoclave" to me...is it so??
And moreover can it handle large volumes (about 1000 litres) of slurry with continuous stirring arrangement that circulates(mixes) super saturated steam with the slurry in that reactor??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back