Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prestress/Prestrain using anisotropic materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenGuhl

Mechanical
May 3, 2023
DE
Hi folks,

I have a short question: coming from Abaqus 6.14 it was not possible to apply prestress/prestain to elements using anisotropic materials. Is this possible in newer Versions? And if yes, which Version?

Thanks!
Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you talking about initial stress and initial plastic strain ? Such a limitation is not mentioned in the documentation even for Abaqus 6.14. Only fabric material is mentioned.

Initial elastic stress/strain, no plastic behavior. I was told (never used it myself...) that this works with isotropic materials, but not with anisotropic (Version 6.14). But I need it with anisotropic materials.

You can apply initial stresses to elements using anisotropic material. However, initial elastic strains can’t be defined in Abaqus.

Thanks for your answer! Is this also possible in Version 6.14? How can I do this or under which keyword do I find it in the manual? Thanks!

It must be possible also in that version. Initial stresses and plastic strains are described in the documentation section Prescribed Conditions --> Initial Conditions. Check also the Verification Guide since there you can find simple examples involving the usage of various features such as anisotropic materials. You can download and modify (e.g. add initial stresses) the input files from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back