Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pretty basic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amacdes

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2001
AU
Hi Im a new boy to solidworks and have a pretty basic
question. - If I have a piece of RHS - say 25x25x3,
which is the best way of putting a 45degree chamfer.
across the total end face of the member.
Is a plane the same as a surface when it comes to cutting the chamfer?

Thanks in Advance Allan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to put a small chamfer on the edges, or are you actually trying to miter cut the entire end?

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

Sorry to be misleading but I did mean mitre the end
as opposed to chamfer. Also what is the difference (if any)
between surface and plane when it comes to cutting?

Regards Allan

You can put a sketch on any planar surface, be it a datum plane, solid planar face, or planar face of a surface body.

Sketch the miter right on the face of your solid body and use "Insert --> Cut --> Extrude". With extruded cut, you can get away with just sketching a single line across the entire model, but you may want to define the entire cut shape (triangle or trapezoid).

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

You could still use the CHAMFER tool on this - as long as one side of the chamfer dimension matches the thickness of your part.
In other words a chamfer - if it's big enough - becomes a miter.

[2thumbsup]
Read my profile & make me an offer... now!
tatejATusfilter.com[/u]​

Ref. Don't forget that when you cut-extrude with a line (or closed profile) you will be sketching on the SIDE face - not the end itself. I know it sounds obvious, but I described the same thing to someone once and thier brain was thinking along a preconcieved direction and they missed that point.

3/4 of all the Spam produced goes to Hawaii - shame that's not true of SPAM also.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back