Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Preventing Jamming: How to Re-Engage a Planet Gear with a Gapped Ring Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2024
US
See this illustration of the gear set up I have.

I want to create a design where there is a gap in the teeth of the ring gear. This allows the planet gear to free-spin during part of the ring gear's rotation and then re-engage during the rest of the rotation.

The challenge I'm facing is figuring out how to design this assembly so that when the planet gear re-engages with the ring gear, it does so smoothly, without catching or jamming. Does anyone have suggestions or know of a way to achieve this?

Any advice on the design considerations or mechanisms that could help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The process chart is then:

1) Start the screw
2) Turn as many times as required to bottom out the screw (Detect is bottomed out how?)
3) Turn the screw two more times (or turn the tool input two more times?) -or- until it reaches some torque

How does the twisting of the screw driver shaft prevent just putting more muscle into it? It the input is turned 2 times then that is a repetition of 5 full revolutions of the driver; that is a lot of turn to be handled by flexibility.

Of note, the old Phillips drive head was designed to cam out to prevent over-tightening.

Take a look at this , build and test it. I a traditional gear engineer. Not an inventer.
But take a look at this , Google it to get the full pdf
Screenshot_20240825_103453_Samsung_Notes_qs9mzf.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_102943_Samsung_Notes_w40xzy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back