Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Previous Thread About Immovable Part In TL Assy? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorBlimeyLimey

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2003
CA
There was a thread recently about a part which could not be moved after being inserted into an assy. Adding mates allowed it to be moved, and moving it into a sub-assy allowed it to be moved within that sub-assy. I cannot find that thread but believe I may have at least a partial answer.

It appears that sometimes the Lock Mate option is automatically created upon insertion of a part. Normally the Lock Mate can be seen, but I was experimenting over the weekend and found that even if the Lock Mate was intentionally created and then deleted, the part was still locked in place, even though no mate was visible. Moving it into a sub-assy freed it. So I'm suspecting that this may be a bug, where SW is placing the part into a locked state without the Lock Mate showing.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

[cheers]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the original thread posted on 7th April:

I've inserted the odd part into a TL assembly and then found that it had been fixed when I tried to roughly position it prior to assigning mates, which isn't the usual behaviour, but RMB "Float" cured it. I think that the problem you describe is peculiar to 2008 (I have been waiting for a suitable 64-bit driver for my VC, seems to be there now so must take the plunge!)

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

I had noticed that lock symbol appearing sometimes & it wouldn't let me change a mate type but I didn't think anything of it so it could well be that. I'll investigate along those lines
Thanks

Another annoying thing about 2008. When I go to Window in the menu bar to open a part that is already in the background it gives me a totally different part from a assy. that is also open. And sometimes I can't shut a part down. I click the X and it keeps minimising, click the X again and it comes back I think I need a reload of it all.
Cheers

Excuse my ignorance Trevor, what's RMB ? I found another part I couldn't move, yet it only had 2 line mates, it wouldn't drag until I deleted both of them.

CBL,
Thanks for the star and answering the RMB question.

digger200,
Your other "annoying thing" about switching between open files, sounds very similar to a bug discussed on this thread last month:

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back