Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Price of Halon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stookeyfpe

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 13, 2005
US
Does anyone have the price of Halon (regardless of the class) since it was no longer allowed? A simple but tough question.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is that DuPont has removed the listing for Halon systems. My memory tells me that comes from an advertisment in the NFPA Journal. I have not seen any information about removing systems or portables with halon as the suppressison agent. I did do a google search on DuPont Halon, and found over 4,000 pages available. On the DuPont site, I found no information about removing the listing for systems. Halon has not been manufactured in the US, France, Spain, UK and other countries for several years. After halon production was discontinued in the above countries, it was and is manufactured in countries such as Nigeria. Recycled Halon is also available.

New clean agent systems include FM 200, Intergen and other chemicals.

Fireguy

That's not the question and my original posting was unclear. Halon was no longer manufactured after the approval of the Montreal Accord. I seem to recall this is in 1988.

My question is does anyone have a price / pound / year or any other time period? It doesn't matter if it is Halon 1201 or 1301.

I've been asked this question and somee historical and price data would be helpful.

Any of those google searches yield anything with this data?

Thanks CDA. These folks were helpful. A big ol red star for you.

I will let you know when my counterpart reads this e-mail and develops the data. It is an old guy thing.

It will also depend on who t he halon is for; if it is a Govenrment or Federal agency, you may be able to get it for zero dollars.

Joe G. Willett
Jacksonville, AR

I have a network of people who buy and sell halon 1211 and halon 1301. Currently halon 1211 is worth about $4-6.00 per pound and halon 1301 is around $3.00 pound. After being collected, it is resold for 2-5 times cost, depending on grade and volume. Several companies produce both UL listed and non listed fire extinguishers, usually portables. Halon 1211 portables are permitted for aviation use.
There are several grades of recycled halons, ranging from recovered to Milspec.
Gerry Flood
FireXonline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back