Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

price of removing a median

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester86403

Structural
Mar 19, 2008
US
Does any body know the price of removing a median in any sort of unit measurement. I am in the US and we are removing some landscaped medians from some parking lots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have a look at 'RS Means: Heavy Construction Cost Data' and look under demolition prices, ie per sq ft, cu yd, that sort of thing.

I don't imagine that would be too terribly expensive. More like sawcutting the pavement and removing the associated curb and gutter. Then haul off of the vegitation and topsoil. (When you say medians, is that the same as a landcape island? Where you have curb surrounding landscape in the middle of a parking lot?)

OK, because when I saw 'median' I was thinking the divider between two streets. (which would need traffic control as well)

Means 2001 calls for plain concrete curb (not reinforced) at $3.11 per linear foot. I would double that for good measure. 6" concrete rod reinforced is at $2.61 per square foot. Add about $50 per tree to cut and grind the stump. Maybe $10 per cubic yard of soil in the island to haul off.

Then add the mobilization fee off about $5,000 for the contractor to get the equipment out and back.

I would love to find a contractor who can cut down a tree, haul it away and grind the stump for $50... Depending on the size of the tree, the cost may be a lot higher.

Hauling costs vary on the distance of the haul. And don't forget the dumping fees at the landfill.

$50 for a tree and grinding stump seems low to me too, especially if it is a tree in my backyard. The concrete curb and gutter seems low as well, like a 100' circumference island could be sawcut and removed for $261.

That is right out of Means though, and I think it is intended for larger jobs where greater volumes bring down the overall cost. Not sure the size of the job envisioned, ie 40 parking islands or 2-3. 100 trees or 5. Was thinking that the mobilization fee would make it a more realistic cost in the end.

A couple of things I forgot to mention.

1. Do not call your pricing report a 'cost estimate'. Call it an 'Engineers Opinion of Probable Costs'. Don't ask me why, lawyer prattle I suspect.

2. It is prudent for you opinion of costs to be more than what it actually costs. In other words, if the contract bids come back lower, the owner will have the money to cover it (their up front financing might be dependent upon your estimate). If the contractor bids start coming in consitently higher than your estimate, you're likely going to hear about it.

GoldDredger,

I do call it that already I just used cost estimate for this board. Also, the estimate is for the City of Phoenix, Arizona. Financing is probably not so dependent on price but the actual benefit.

Also there is 11 islands being removed and about 10 trees.

If it is for a city, you might look into seeing if they already have costs compiled for various capital facilities projects (based on actual awarded contracts). City of Sacramento, as well as Dallas, I found had a good deal of information on construction costs for their area. Ie 8" sewer pipe, manholes, waterlines, pavement etc. (Carefull of those becase they might be based on unit costs of a huge project, so it may not be apples to apples.)

Also, for a city project, you probably just need to get in the ballpark for city council approval of budgeting (still be above it). I would imagine the contractor selection will be based on a publicly advertised bid process of contractors pre-approved to work on city projects. In other words, it will cost what it costs based on market conditions.

If I read your question correctly, the big cost may not be the ripping out of old islands (and rootballs - you shouldn't grind the stump and pave over it...) but the repaving of the median area with HMA - small areas, unless you can work out to allow them to pave the whole thing at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back