Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Printer Efficency - Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kontiki99

Electrical
Feb 16, 2006
US
Just floating this idea as a trial balloon, I have never taken it up as a cause.

I work in a department with a dozen networked printers and maybe 100 engineers.

What do you think of having a clerk walk through the department with a cart of paper and toner cartridges checking and load every paper tray of every printer, fax etc every morning.

Having an engineer refill a tray as a one-off event doesn’t seem like a big deal.

If the paper isn’t readily there, someone may have to go for a walk and get the key, sign out supplies etc. Sometimes multiple engineers head off to different supply cabinets.

In any case, while a machine is out of paper the print jobs back up, two or three people start to loiter by the printer. Person in a rush runs pack to send the job to another printer etc.

There is always someone struggling with how much paper were using too.

I wouldn’t mind if we set aside dedicated printers with cheaper recycled paper for proofing if that made a significant cost difference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Refilling is not a big issue; the matter of seconds that it takes (assuming access to paper and toner).

Corporal punishment is required for
People log jamming the print queue, that you cannot clear their corrupted document without IT intervention.
The reams and volumes of garbage printed and never collected.
Tracking down the bonehead that jammed the photocopier and left it to the next guy to fix. Particularly if he/she melted a transparency to one of the drums.

Refill Roster - Very Bureaucratic - loads of promise and good intentions, but no hope of success - just like govt

FOETS
"social drinker with a golfing problem"

Also track down the people who feel the need to make hard copies of everything they get via email, pdf, etc.

It seems everytime I try and print out a two or three page doc I am sat in a print queue behind somebody printing a 100+ page guide book. That no doubt gets put in a folder somewhere and filed away to be forgotten about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back