Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauter

Aerospace
Oct 31, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to print to a given scale from ProE? There isn't any 'print to scale' menu pick in the print dialog. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but I haven't found it yet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I make a drawing with 1:1 scale, and print the drawing. Does anybody know a faster way? Like printing directly off the part or assembly?

I never print to a plotter, so I never can get a real 1:1 drawing out. I need a way to print to scale regardless of the printer or drawing size.

Change your format to 'a' size if your not able to use a plotter. Make sure your view is 1/1 and you are zoomed out. (Use the zoom button) You can move the view to display what you want to print. Then print it out.

Sauter,

Of course you can print to scale from PRO/E. If it's a drawing, then just create the drawing and put the views at your convenient scale, to fit in a format and print it on the right paper. If you want to print without format and the view is bigger than the format then do the following:

In PRINTER CONFIGURATION window, click the MODEL tab, then at SCALE, put your desired scale and uncheck "WITH FORMAT" box. Also please correct the format size in PAGE tab. Use VARIABLE. I hope you have a plotter with a roll sheet if you have formats bigger than size E. This technique applies only for DRAWINGS!

Now, if you want to print your 3D model, without making a drawing, then in MODEL tab of the PRINTER CONFIGURATION, choose MODEL SIZE(this is in the drop box under the PLOT). This command will plot your model at a pecified scale. This works only for 3D MODEL!

I hope I answered at tyour question. Good luck!
-Hora

Like Hora said... make sure that it is a drawing! In the part or assembly rotate until the model is in the desired position and then create a saved view (i.e. temp). Now create a quick drawing using the model and place a view at the desired scale using the saved view. Now print using what ever printer you want and select the paper size (A, B, C, D, etc.) This does not determine the scale of the plot, but rather determines the size of the paper the printer will use. There are scaling options and clipped print options if you select the Configure... button before printing. Note: Any adjustments made under CONFIGURE... will be lost when you change printers.
If you plot often using those settings I suggest you save the plot config to a file (click configure... click the save button at the bottom) and place the file in your plot config directory. You can specify the plot config directory in your config.pro.
Configure options:
Under the Page tab: Size: paper size (ABCDE, etc)
Under the Model tab: Plot size - Full plot, clipped, based on zoom, plot area, paper outline.
Full plot: exactly what it reads
Clipped: before printing you will be prompted to create a box around the objects to be printed.
Based on Zoom: what you see on your screen minus a little for the borders.
Scale: Here is where you scale the drawing at print time. Put in a value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back