Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pro/Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

butelja

Mechanical
Jun 9, 1999
US
Has anyone used Pro/Desktop Express extensively? I've just begun to use it, and am very impressed with its performance, price (FREE!), and interoperability with Autocad and Pro/E. For a free download from PTC, its seems quite capable as a 3D parametric modeler, although is lacking in some of the basic 2D sketching tools. Comments, anyone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I downloaded it and I like it. I am going through the tutorials myself and as an 3d Autocadiot, I find some of the features to be real nice, the type of features that Autocad should have had a long time ago. Autocad keeps improving the front end but many of the parametric features that may be found in the high end software like Mechanical Desktop are way overdue and a limitation to it's use as a 3d modeler.

Some procedures are a little awkward but I really like the ability to change variables like hole diameters, positions, thicknesses etc. without having to recreate solids. I have had difficulty trying to insert some of that magic into revolved objects. In addition, many of the translators dont work and in most cases the solids become dumb. I tried bringing some wireframes in and they did not work either.

I have'nt figured out much of the program and I have a lot to learn. Again I like it and it is definitly a keeper. Hopefully, I can learn get good enough with it to learn the basics for Pro-E that I could never afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back