Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/E 2001 takes forever to start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastolos

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2002
US
Can anyone help me get Pro/E 2001 to start up any quicker. I have 512MB ram, my initial environment is set to 4096, 64MB Nvidia video card, OpenGL graphics setting in config.pro. Other than that I don't know what other settings I could change to help speed up start up. It takes about 5-6 minutes to start up. Any suggestioons????

Thanks
Brad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am running on a locked license. At work we have have it running on 4 computers with Windows NT, 2000, 98 and XP and it works fine. We all use the same config.pro file. At home I use Windows ME. Thanks

The same thing was happening to me, it was my config.pro file, it was huge. Huge for the config.pro anyway, it was around 1 Meg. What happened was everytime I saved a mapkey it duplicated it. Contacted my sysadmin about it and he fixed the problem. You may look at the size of your config.pro.

Just my .02 ;)

This is quite often to do with file paths in the config.pro. If proE cannot find the paths / files it needs, then it will slow at install and take an age.
Also, check that your trail files are not being created accross the network, but in a temp folder specified in your config.pro file. Ideally something like c:\temp or c:\trails.
Defragmenting the installation can make a difference to startup times, although i doubt 5-6 mins worth. Email your configs to me if you want me to have a look to see if i can find anything amiss.

James
James Harbidge
Applications Engineer
RAND Worldwide
jharbidge@rand.com

If you're all using the same config.pro it seems strange that it's slow on this one box. It does sound like a config.pro issue.
Try these:
1) remove graphics open_gl, the graphics option hasn't been needed since release 17.
2) remove stale search paths, or remove all of them to a search.pro file and try running without any before putting them back in again with the config.pro option search_path_file
3) check cpu and memory usage in the task manager while it's starting up. If it's not much then Pro/E is doing stuff out on the network.
4) Add nt_cache_dirs yes to config.pro and see if that speeds it up.

Good luck,

Bruce Jackson

Had a similar problem with slow startup where loading without config.pro/win and with win32_gdi didn't help. After reinstalling it worked fine...

i have the same problem of slow start up. i have found it is due to duplication of mapkeys in the config.pro. but i don't know how to solve this problem.
can any one help me to solve it?

thanks in advance

We had the problem with slow startup (3 min.), but only on computers with Mechanica installed. Our Mechanica installation had a System Variable setting "HOMEPATH" set to "\proeng\home", after deleting this the startup was reduced to less than 30 sec.

Regards Gunnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back