Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/E and a Hyper Threading CPU? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIANGAMER

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2002
Has anyone used Pro/E with a hyper threading processor with Windows XP? If so is it faster that a comparable machine without hyper threading? Has anyone come across any documentation to support it?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't notice a difference.

You would only notice the difference if you are using more then one application.

One session of Pro/e running, with nothing else would not take advantage.

Maybe Pro/Mechanica running, and Adobe photoshop?

But who would be doing this.

I left mine off, gave 100% of the CPU power to PRO/E

I am running 2ghz p4..I do have 1.5 gigs of ram. Pro/e Runs SMOOTH. I noticed a huge difference in the performance with the added RAM. Might be a cheaper solution...

Well I completed some testing with 2 new systems both with XP, 2.8mhz cpu w/hyper threading, 1.5gig of ram, a Nvidia Quadro4 380xgl card, one with hyper threading on and one with hyper threading off and found that hyper threading does help some. The biggest advantage was when you opened another program while opening a bigger assembly. I gained anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds on an 850mb assembly. The biggest gain was the overall system upgrades. These systems replaced a 1.8mhz with 1gig of ram and a 2.0mhz with 1gig of ram. The time to bring the 850mb assembly up went from around 3:55 to 1:26 in some cases. Pretty easy to justify an upgrade with good result. Thanks to all that replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back