Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro-E Assy to STEP to UG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troach

Automotive
Nov 25, 2003
US
I've translated a STEP into UG and nothing shows up in the UG part file. It is native Pro-E and was an assembly file. It was then translated to STEP and sent to me along with the components. The components, when translated, created two .PRT files, one empty and one with the geometry... I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows a trick to translating "cleaner" from a Pro-E Assy file into UG, please let me know. Or if there is something I'm not accounting for, pass that along.

Thanks,
Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure your load options are set so that the components can be found by the assy. I've opened .stp assy's and have had to scratch my head and think why nothing was showing up. When I updated the load options, everything was in it's correct place.

Look at the Assembly Navigator and see if you have a single component file or an empty assembly.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

The load options are OK. There are components in the Assy Navigator. Like I said, when the part files were translated indivdually, they created two UG files. One which was empty, and one which had the geometry in it. I've just "substituted" the one file referenced in the Assy Navigator to the one with the geometry in it. Lucky for me that the Assy only had 5 components!!

Thanks!

Azreal - I orginally used STEP 203. I just tried another translation of the same files and I used STEP 214. I didn't see any reference options in the provided translator menu??? This time I translated all the components first. That was OK. Then I translated the assy file. When I translated the component files they came through OK....
item1.stp ---> item1.prt
When I translated the assy file, it re-translated each component and sub-assy in the assy file, adding some arbitrary 'addition' to the file name....
asm1.stp ---> asm1.prt, with item1XXX.prt
The extra component file is empty, therefore the assy is empty. And after looking at it, it's more than just 5 component files with in the sub assys!!!
This is probably not real clear... but any added suggestions would be helpful. Thanks to all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back