Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pro/E file control

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunthorn

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
My company received world that we are going to be funded for several (5-10) Pro/E licenses. For the past two years I was the only one in my company (defense industry) that used Pro/E. I have been converting legacy AutoCAD drawings to Pro/E and interfacing with our customers who use Pro/E. Since I am the only one using Pro/E, all the drawing files are stored on my computer.

I would consider myself a slightly above average user of Pro/E, several times I have totally blown away a part by deleting the wrong feature in a part or an assembly. I can see this happening to all the drawings and models on our company’s servers now that a lot of new users will have access.

So can anyone tell of how this can be avoided? What were some of the pitfalls that your company had when new pro/e users were turned loose, or you implemented large-scale usage of Pro/E. Are there any tools out there for file management of pro/e drawings and models.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro/Intralink is ideal for managing a small, local workgroup of Pro/E users and their files. It maintains the file relationships between the part files and the drawings and assemblies.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

You must get a data manager. Intralink would be the solution for your small group. Even if you only used it for vaulting your objects it would be beneficial. It would be almost impossible to manage data using the filesystem alone. Save yourself the headaches.

--
AJT
Manufacturing Engineer
The Boeing Company
St. Louis, MO

I agree with Looslib and Fighterpilot, you need a data manager, we use Intralink, it removed most of our headaches, but we still have a person that works hard at messing up Intralink (got the admin password) and played with the settings...
I worked without Intralink having working directories on our Network, but if you are not carful you can delete important files, even the most experienced Pro users. Intralink at least keeps history so you can recover old versions.

Tofflemire

I always liked the "Delete All" functionality in Pro/E. Most users didn't pay attention to what this functionality did and ended up deleting not only what they wanted but everything connected to it. At least with Ilink, that can't happen.

--
AJT
Manufacturing Engineer
The Boeing Company
St. Louis, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back