Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRO/E Model a Shim End Crest to Crest Wave Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWeber

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2011
US
I've just started to play with some of the more advanced features in Pro/E and found an interesting modeling problem. Let me start by saying, yes I know you can download the wave spring models off of Smalley's website, but I'd like to know how to model it myself.

I've figured out how to draw the crest to crest portion of the spring, though a lot of reverse engineering, but now I am having trouble figuring out how to add the flat on the top and bottom of the spring. I've done this with equations and graphs on normal [cylindrical, conical compression] springs, but I am not sure how to go about it with a wave spring.

I would also like to add the flat portions of the curve without adding more features. I don't want to add any additional sweeps.

I was trying to play around with Boolean Logic(if/else statements)in the equations of the two curves or the variable section sweep sketch relations, but I have not had any success.

I tried to attach the file as is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be cool to make some family tables of this and have them flex realistically in assemblies. This is what I did for our "normal" springs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had something similar done with a regular square ground spring once which I think came close to what your after but I am not sure there is a way without creating more features. I did two extra curves for the start and end paths and created a chain reference so there was only one sweep. But again that would be two more curve features. I did a wave spring in which the waves were driven into the curves not the sweep section. That would be the only way I can see to drive that profile with only one sweep.

Good luck,

-J-

Let me give it a try. I just don't want to include additional sweeps that could get flipped 180* when the model is turned into a flexible component. Trying to keep it tidy and modifiable. Trying to keep just one path for the VSS.

BTW I am running Pro/E 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back